Friday, March 15, 2024

Ridley Park girls are "smoking" !! the latest "History Mystery"


 The latest History Mystery postcard from about 1920. The picture at the bottom says Clifton Heights and something else but that has faded. Trolley tracks in Clifton ran on only two streets back then, Baltimore Pike and Springfield Rd. Looking for a location. Please email me at keith106@rcn.com


NOTE;  My "Mystery History" write up in the Delco Times is becoming popular. Check above for the latest. I have heard from no one but my website is down. I took it down several weeks ago. The website loses money every year and I have asked businesses, the county etc. to make a donation and have had no luck. Last year I had less than 10 donations even though I average 600 visitors a month. It makes no sense to me.





CHESTER TIMES 

 February 2, 1924 

RIDLEY PARK GASPS AS GIRLS SMOKE PIPES

          Ultra-modernism in the guise of pipe smoking for girls has made its appearance in the staid borough of Ridley Park.  One cold night this week, two fair damsels from Swarthmore made their way to the Ridley Park lake, and after adjusting skates one of the girls made the rest of the skater’s gasp with astonishment when from the depths of her handbag she produced an honest-to-goodness dainty little pipe and a bag containing a well-known brand of tobacco and proceeded to “light up.”  She appeared to enjoy her smoke.

          As interested spectator humorously remarked that it took three hundred years since Sir Walter Raleigh introduced pipe smoking in England when he was ducked with a pail of water for taking the weed back to his native land for the habit to reach American women.


1 comment:

  1. I believe the 4 th building in the background is 44 w Baltimore Pike and the 3 in the foreground are now the parking lot of Clifton Heights fire company.

    ReplyDelete