The Glenolden Community Church at 200 S. MacDade Blvd.in Glenolden about 1947 shortly after it started. The story is the original building was part of the Glen Dale Golf Course.
Note: The Glen Dale Golf Course opened in 1928 in direct competition with the Tully Golf Course next store. The course closed in 1940 when the property was taken by the federal government for housing. Housing was at a premium with WW2 which started in 1939. Although the U.S. did not enter the war till 1941 places like Baldwin's. Westinghouse, Sun Ship were running 24/7 supporting, England, France etc. Even before the U. S. entered and housing was scarce. The Federal Government built 3 "Cinder Block Cities" in Delco, South and MacDade, Bullens and MacDade in Woodlyn and in Tinicum at Rt. 291 and Rt. 420. If you have a golfers eye you can still see the remnants of Hole #1 at South and MacDade!!
OPEN NEW GOLF COURSE AT GLENOLDEN TODAY
Special Match to Feature Inauguration of Glendale Country Club on Parker Avenue
The Glendale Country Club’s attractive new golf course on Parker Avenue, Glenolden, is to be opened this afternoon, and several attractive features have been arranged for the occasion. This star feature of the day will be an exhibition match by four of the leading golfers in the Philadelphia district.
The special exhibition is scheduled to begin at 2 o’clock. Included in the all-star foursome will be Paul Tewkesbury of Sharon Hill, former medalist I the national amateur championship; J. Winston Kindt, former Pennsylvania junior amateur champion, and Andrew H. Kays and George M. Stevens, outstanding amateur participants in all of the leading tournaments in this section. It is announced that the exhibition is to be free to the public.
Glendale is located along Parker Avenue, about one-half mile south of Collingdale. The 3200 yard nine-hole course is a tricky one. The distance from the tee to No. 2 green is 504 yards. No. 2 green is an island entirely surrounded by a natural water course. The next hole is a fairly straight drive of 190 yards, while the fifth hole is the toughest of them all. It is a table top three feet above grade, entirely surrounded by wicked sand traps.
The course was constructed by James Bailey, pro for the Tully Memorial Course, which adjoins Glendale.
A clubhouse is now in the course of erection of the forty-eight acres and, when completed, will present every modern convenience. There will be a large dining and banquet hall, showers, lockers and lounging rooms for both men and women and supplied with every modern convenience. A veranda will entirely surround the structure, which is being built on a plot 40 by 130, and, when completed, the entire project will be free to the public.